February 2, 2011

Dinagyang Siopao and Nang Pat's Siopao

I was hesitant to go to Villa for a field trip. But what kept me going was the siopao in Villa that I have never tried and wanted to try. :)

I sat for an hour listening to the head of the institution we went to. After he said, "Thank you", my friends and I rushed out to search for one of the most famous siopao in Iloilo.

I thought it was just a block away from the plaza so we walked. After about three blocks, we didn't see any sign of it so we asked a tricycle driver. He pointed that it was further up ahead the road. So we continued to walk. After a block or two, we finally arrived.

We were faced with a dilemma. On what to eat first since we were presented with two options - Dinagyang siopao and Nang Pat's. My friends and I decided to buy at Dinagyang and then at Nang Pat's so that we can also sit at the tables provided at the latter.

At Dinagyang, the man who tended the store told us that their siopao was not hot. We settled for it though because we traveled quite a long way for the siopao. :)

I had chicken siopao at PhP22. The pork one was priced at PhP17.

At Nang Pat's, I had a pork siopao which was priced the same as that in Dinagyang. Only that it was fresh off the steam and was very hot. :) I ate the Chicken siopao first to let the Pork one cool down. It was good and stuffed with chicken. The only downside is that it wasn't hot at all.


After I ate the siopao we bought at Dinagyang, I ate the steamed pork buns I bought at Nang Pat's. Some of my friends didn't eat their purchases because they were already full from that Dinagyang siopao.

The siopao at Nang Pat's was big - very big. But the stuffing was small and tasted weird. Maybe their chicken siopao was good but I had the pork one and it sucked.


I preferred the dough at Dinagyang too. And so, all in all, I choose Dinagyang over Nang Pat's. I should have the hot one next time though.

Hmmm... Would I return? Not really. I mean, I wouldn't travel a long way for this. I'd settle at Roberto's instead. But if I were in the vicinity, I would definitely buy one considering that it is half the price of that in Roberto's plus it has a good dough, has plenty of stuffings and is large. :)

Dinagyang Siopao
Nang Pat's Siopaoan sa Villa

Bonifacio St, Iloilo City

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you eaten here? What do you think?