May 14, 2011

Maki

My friends and I were intent on tasting all on the menu but there are just some things which aren't really attractive to the ears moreso to the tastebuds.

We were to select a soup, sushi or sashimi, appetizer, tempura and teriyaki or yakitori.

My first order was of course tuna sashimi, pork siomai, shrimp tempura and beef yakiniku. I skipped the soups lest I fail my mission of tasting all.

The tuna sashimi was small and not cold. It was disfigured and not really tasty.

The shrimp tempura was fine. The batter is not really thick as it looks. The shrimp inside was soft and tasty.

The beef yakiniku was tough and dry that I really can't appreciate the taste.
 

The pork siomai was also dry and bland aside from its being minute.

I ticked on mango and cheese maki, gyoza, squid tempura and chicken teriyaki on my 2nd checklist. I gave it to the waiter before I finished my first because it takes a while for them to prepare your meal. It is unwise to disrupt your momentum.

The mango and cheese maki was good but the cheese overpowers the small bit of mango in it. My second order of it however proved the first wrong. This one is delicious.


The gyoza was very delicious especially because it was served hot. After a while though, when it has cooled, it doesn't taste as good as when it is hot.
 
The squid tempura shocked me. The batter was thin and the squid was very very soft. I enjoyed the taste and would have wanted to order it one more time had I not been allergic.

The chicken teriyaki was also very well done - succulent tiny cuts of chicken thrown with onion leaves and sesame seeds. Yum.

My third order was ika sashimi, japanese spring rolls, vegetable tempura and beef teriyaki.

The vegetable tempura was all red and green bell peppers. Eew.

The ika or squid sashimi was eew as well. I didn't really dig it but some people might. It was my first time to eat something like this.

The japanese spring rolls weren't really special. Just your ordinary lumpia.

The beef teriyaki disappointed me. It was cold and tough.

By this time, I have eaten all choices in the appetizers and tempuras.

My fourth order was now only composed of sushi or sahimi and teriyaki or yakitori. I chose california maki and chicken yakitori.

The california maki has a lot of mango in it. :)
 
The chicken yakitori looks good but I couldn't remember how it tastes.

My fifth order was crazy maki and pork yakitori.

The crazy maki wasn't crazy.

The pork yakitori looked pale and not delicious. Well, like the chicken yakitori, it didn't leave impressions on me.

My sixth order was pink salmon skin maki. I didn't like it.

I skipped the futo maki, tuna maki, tuna sushi, tamago sushi, kani sushi, tamago sashimi and kani sashimi for reasons forgotten except that the latter 4 do not sound good.

I might go there someday but will just order what I found good - mango and cheese maki, gyoza, squid tempura and chicken teriyaki.

Maki offers bento-all-you can everyday at just P245. You can add P45 for bottomless iced tea.

Menu. Click images to enlarge. Open in new tabs to superenlarge.























Maki
Smallville Complex, BS Aquino Ave, Mandurriao, Iloilo City
Opening hours: 11-3 PM, 5-10:30 PM (untill 11 on Friday and Saturday)
(033)3213885

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you eaten here? What do you think?