May 17, 2011

Garden Cafe

This internet and book cafe was once a mansion.
 

As I stepped inside, I saw two foreigners sitting apart and a group of med students discussing something.

I ordered my staple of americano while I went off to search for magazines to read. The selection is plenty not to mention the books.

My americano arrived in a short while. It tasted like americano but what set it apart was that the sugar served with it was in liquid form. I also liked that their cups are huge. :)

After a couple of hours reading, I ordered their only choice of solid food - waffles.

I like it because it was crunchy outside and soft inside. It was also drizzled with chocolate syrup. The only downside, for me, is that it was also sprinkled with sugar. This may be a treat for some but the semi-health buff me frowns upon it. Next time, I find myself in this place, I will still order it sans the sugar. :)

I like the place because it is airy and spacious. I like it because the next table is spaced sufficiently from yours giving ample privacy. 

 Menu. Click to enlarge. Open in new tab to superenlarge.
 
***********************************************************************************
The last time I was here about three or so months ago, I noticed that they have expanded their menu to include meals from their waffles -only era. I would have wanted to order the Italian Pork Ribs Combo but I was told no combo meal was available. So I turned my attention to the BBQ Short Ribs. The Buttered Poached Chicken with Sour Butter Cream Sauce and the Saffron and Lemon Infused Chicken with White Wine Reduction sounded good too but all these are unavailable. The waiter then explained that their chef left and he was only able to teach some chicken recipes to one staff. I don't like wings and I wasn't in the mood to eat Fried Chicken so I ordered Chicken Pepper Steak.

I was expecting a piece of chicken coated with pepper and then fried or pan-seared but I was proved wrong when my main course arrived after I finished a bowl of soup. The soup, which was instant, was spicy and hot. It was not so thick nor not so thin either.

My main course came in pieces of chicken stacked upon each other and sprinkled with onion, bell pepper and parmesan and drizzled with its own sauce. I was amazed. The chicken was well done. And the sauce seemed garlicky, peppery and oniony. I love the onions but I never liked peppers so I set all of them aside. I enjoyed eating the chicken until I finished it.

As if that wasn't enough, a third plate of salad and fried potatoes arrived. This should have arrived before my main course but it arrived anyway. I was caught offguard and was happier at the thought of more food so I welcomed it joyfully.

The salad was cold and was made of cucumbers and onions. I didn't like the tanginess of the onions. It was too much so I set all of the onions aside. I enjoyed the cucumber though. It was delicious with its dressing.

The fried potatoes was no longer crispy when I ate it but it was delicious with its somekinda sour cream dip drizzled on it.

I was really full and satisfied with the meal. Not to mention the very attentive and courteous waiter. I can't wait to try more of their meals. If only they can find that chef they need...

Menu. Click to enlarge. Open in new tabs to superenlarge.














Garden Cafe
El98 cor , Jaro, Iloilo City
Opening hours:
4PM-11PM Monday-Friday
10AM-11PM Saturday-Sunday and Holidays
(033)3000808

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you eaten here? What do you think?